Report: Currently on 200th Ave!

Talk about what you've discovered by using ETC-- and post your high ranks!
BigRed

Report: Currently on 200th Ave!

Postby BigRed » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:27 pm

[EDIT]

Updated Progress Report:

Today, I finally made it to 200th Ave! I'm not sure exactly how many aves this game has; I think it's like 500 or 600 or so.

This is big, considering the fact that I did it using multiple timbres... (not to mention I started from the very beginning AGAIN!)

3 days ago, I started from the beginning and made it to Ave 140. Then I started from the beginning again yesterday! I played nonstop through 150 aves yesterday, and completed 50 more this morning! Unfortunately my error rate has not improved much since last time.

[/EDIT]
Last edited by BigRed on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:57 pm

Yeeeeeah! :D

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:34 am

Great! I suggest now you try it with other instruments (if you can). Apparently timbre often messes with chroma perception, so it's good to be able to identify the chromas of different instruments.

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:23 pm

That was the very next thing I was planning to do.

Yesterday I tried something different: I decided to route the MIDI signal through my USB cable, into my keyboard, so that it could play its own internal sounds (instead of the default Microsoft GM output.) I'm gonna do this for a while, and see if it helps or hurts.

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Sounds like a plan :)

BigRed

UPDATE!!!

Postby BigRed » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:56 pm

[UPDATE:]

Hello, again, ppl. Finally got to the 120th ave for "C" in the full version of APA. Yay!

I've also been playing around with G for a short while. But I don't want to focus too much on G, cuz I definitely still don't have "C" down yet!

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:16 am

Congrats!
I agree with you: maybe you should work on C, then G, then try to work on both?

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Perhaps.

theandresanchez

Postby theandresanchez » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Practicing with a single instrument (or even just a couple) is, as far as I can tell, a waste of time. You are better off sticking to all timbres, or at least a wide variety of them. It seems impossibly hard at first (well it did to me) because all the eggs will sound "different", but your mind eventually adapts to find the similarity. If you get seriously stuck, go back to level 1 and start over. I played around a few times with APA, but never went too far or invested much time. A couple of hours accumulated over several months/ a year, usually with only the Grand Piano. Then I decided to just sit through it and use lots of instruments. I unlocked G in a couple of hours (it takes long even if you get 100% right). To my surprise, G was significantly harder (or maybe I got significantly more lazy), and I didn't bother trying to push through it.

I think APA is a valuable tool for refining absolute pitch but not for developing it.

I don't think this "I haven't quite mastered X, so I'm not going to move to Y" is very productive, regardless.

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:56 am

well, maybe you should try G and see what happens. After that, do both C and G.

theandresanchez

Postby theandresanchez » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:16 am

lorelei wrote:well, maybe you should try G and see what happens. After that, do both C and G.

Wouldn't it be more productive to just do each pitch until the next one is unlocked, and then when they are all unlocked go back to the old ones?

I stopped using APA because I got seriously depressed and didn't think it was worth the time even if it worked. I recently got re-insterested in developing absolute pitch, but I'm trying "my own" method first because I think it's more likely to yield results. I intend to go back to APA in a few weeks.

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Sorry for my lack of activity as of late. I've been kind of busy.

Basically, I agree that you should not focus TOO much on any particular given pitch before moving on to others. I also agree with the general concensus around here, which states that "a person wishing to gain true AP should focus on seperating pitch from timbre by using MANY different random MIDI instruments while playing APA."

Recently, I've improved my skills to the point where I can almost always sing the opening notes of a few specific familiar songs correctly! Not really M.T. (melody triggers) per se -- I haven't been going about it in a systematic way, like I'm supposed to. I'm just getting kinda tired of hearing that little Mozart tune for C, so I've added a few others for that note.

Over the last few days, I've been soaring through APA, because I restarted from the beginning (using only piano tones again.) It's insanely easy now, and I'm hoping to beat my previous streak. I'll let ya' know. I gotta go now... so i can play APA some more! 8)

cya.

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:46 pm

UPDATE:

I just got through 33 avenues (from AVE 20 to AVE 53) and made only 1 mistake.

Oh, and happy Independence Day everybody!

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:34 am

Great! Now try to get that good on random timbre!

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Roger!

Return to “Your observations”