Should students be graded?

Responses to the acting-instruction page.
cjhealey
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby cjhealey » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:31 am

aruffo
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby aruffo » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:12 am

I strongly agree with the notion that testing only ever reveals a student's ability to take a test. I hadn't applied it to essay tests, though, and I like the way you put it!

The essential problem I have with "grading" is that it has been shown-- repeatedly, consistently, and infallibly-- that when an external reward is introduced to a system, and the system's participants are convinced that the external reward is the desired result, then the participants' focus inevitably turns toward achieving the reward; and the task which prompted the reward is soon considered an undesirable chore to be avoided (for an obvious non-academic example, think of embezzlement). The mere fact that "cheating" on a test can exist is representative of the inherent problem.

That's why I have continued to be so satisfied with the idea of doing a public performance at the end of an acting class; there's no way to "cheat" 'cos you either please the audience or you don't, and that is the reason to do it in the first place. Not for a "grade". In any given field, there must be similar ways to demonstrate proficiency without testing.

cjhealey

Postby cjhealey » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:49 am

Axeman

Postby Axeman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:46 am

Return to “Acting and teaching”