Chris what are you up to?

Anything that's nothing to do with music.
RockofStrength

Chris what are you up to?

Post by RockofStrength » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:47 pm

No update for years! What have you been working on?

zacxpacx

Re: Chris what are you up to?

Post by zacxpacx » Sat May 25, 2019 12:29 pm

I'd also like to know the state of things. I was a very active forum member and ETC user some 6 or 7 years ago. It's disheartening to come back to an inactive forum and no recent research update.

Is the project dead?

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Sun May 26, 2019 8:40 pm

Not dead!

Here's the shortest version:

Why no updates?
Since finishing my PhD studies in 2012 I've been trying to stabilize my employment situation (yes, this whole time) which has impeded significant progress on everything else. It looks as though that may have finally turned around as of this year, but there still is some settling down to go.

What has happened with the material for adults?
I am still convinced, theoretically, that learning absolute pitch is possible for adults—but my successes with ETC (APA and APP) have helped me discover the extent of the individual work necessary to achieve it. That is, I believe that the problem is equivalent to that of teaching phonemic awareness to illiterates... in a second language. That's a hell of a hill to climb.

What has happened with the material for kids?
This is the most promising avenue right now. Because it works.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:58 pm

aruffo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:40 pm

I am still convinced, theoretically, that learning absolute pitch is possible for adults—but my successes with ETC (APA and APP) have helped me discover the extent of the individual work necessary to achieve it. That is, I believe that the problem is equivalent to that of teaching phonemic awareness to illiterates... in a second language. That's a hell of a hill to climb.
This is the thing I wanted to comment on. Just to confirm the difficulty of this endeavor. It's hard to say how much time I've devoted specifically to AP eartraining over the years, but I started this whole charade in spring of 1998 when I bought the D.L. Burge course. It's been 20 years and even though I've made huge gains toward that goal and the gains that I have made have enriched my musical life, both experientially and functionally, there's still something about natural AP possessors that seems so much more solid. And there's got to be a way, a system of exercises, that can expedite this process. For adults, though, I don't think it's ever going to be "easy". It's always going to require consistent daily exposure and practice to specific kinds of listening to consciously coax AP back out from its childhood grave. And then we still have to follow the natural progression of learning that we have to follow for everything else. Unconscious incompetence - conscious incompetence - conscious competence - unconscious competence.

But certainly we can get a lock on a way of working on it that produces greater returns in a much shorter period. As it stands, it's like each individual has to go on their own journey to figure out how to learn AP in the first place for themselves. Which can take decades as I've seen for myself. I sit here today thinking...oh! If I'd taken this approach 20 years ago I'd be done by now. But, really I'm looking at about 2 years before I see whether what I'm doing now really produces the results I believe it will. It's producing certain kinds of results so far, but in the end it STILL may not be the thing.

Rob