Chordhopper without testing

Comments and questions about Chordhopper.
werewere

Chordhopper without testing

Post by werewere » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 am

Dear Christopher, I wonder if could be possible to get/configure Chordhopper but without the testing part for individual tones. I mean, I read somewhere that you was thinking about removing that part, and even the Eguchi method hasn't got it (AFAIK).

For me, it is terribly annoying to have to play the icons orderly. I even connected the computer to a midi keyboard and with a translation software I'm able to just press C in my piano instead of the letter in the computer's keyboard, but even in that way, it is very hard to do the voicing correctly. That have prevented me to play since I own the ETC software.

Please, could be possible to release a version without the testing? Or disable it configuring something somehow? I understand if the answer is no, as I know that you currently have new interests (I saw your conference about language accents, very interesting BTW!), but anyway, I wanted to ask :)

Best,
Alberto.

aruffo
Site Admin

Re: Chordhopper without testing

Post by aruffo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:08 pm

Hi!

I'm not sure what you mean "without testing". Do you mean you want to be able to hear the chords randomly?

werewere

Re: Chordhopper without testing

Post by werewere » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:55 am

No, sorry, I try to explain better:

The Chordhopper has two parts: in the beginning we have to choose between three chords. Then, after some jumps, the second part of the game appears, when the circle with the intervals is shown, and it is needed to pick up the individual tones that belongs to the chord.

That's what I call the "testing" part (I thought that was the name). In that part, it is needed to choose the notes that form the chord, in the correct order bottom-up. I think that you said somewhere that really it wasn't necessary to test if we recall correctly the individual pitches or something like that (and I read that you said that Eguchi method discourages it to acquire perfect pitch). Anyway, what annoys me is the necessity to press orderly the notes of the chord. May be I understood wrongly and this is an important part of the game?.

One more thing, I'm mainly interested to acquire relative pitch (not absolute) and to recognize correctly the chords and getting awareness of the internal chord structure ("this is a CMaj7 in third inversion"). So I don't know if I could be throwing stones to my own roof trying to remove the "testing" part.