Bug in Chordhopper, B-flat major is B diminished

Read about new features and report bugs.
TS

Bug in Chordhopper, B-flat major is B diminished

Postby TS » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:27 am

Hi Chris. I e-mailed you about this bug, but I'm not sure if you received those e-mails or if you've just been too busy lately. You seem to read the forum occasionally, so I'll post here also.

At 108m or so, there should appear the chord B-flat major, according to the diagram that can be found in the forum, but the chord that appears at 108m is B diminished. I'm pretty sure that's a bug because B diminished has already been presented earlier in the game, so it's impossible to know which icon to click, as there are now two that make the same sound.

I'm close to finishing Chordhopper, and I'm curious to find out what will happen, but I can't continue because of the wrong chord.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Sorry.. I have been busy, and e-mail tends to shuffle itself lower on the priority list. I'll check that out now and see if I can find what the deal is.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Okay.. there is a chord-parsing routine I wrote which translates letters into MIDI numbers, and I'll check that in a moment. The B-chords as currently listed in the code are these:

#3: B3, D4, G4 (6m)
#17: B3, D4, F4 (34m)
#25: B3, E4, G4 (50m)

and where you're currently at--

#54: B3, E4, G#4 (108m)

So either you're mis-hearing the chord or the parser is ignoring the sharp symbol. I'll look at the parser and see if there's anything that could make that latter thing happen.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:52 pm

Crud. There have been updates in the latest version of Realbasic that have made important functionality stop working. This will take longer than I thought.

I don't see anything that would drop off the # sign, though.

TS

Postby TS » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:51 pm

I'm assuming that this diagram is correct: http://www.wehearandplay.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=350

Maybe I misremember the distance or starting from 0m instead of 1m somehow complicates the calculation (0m->1st chord, 2m->2nd chord, aka Off-By-One), but the chord I'm having trouble with is not B3, E4, G#4. That's E-major, and it's correct. The problem chord is number 55, and it should be Bb3, D4, F4, but it seems to be B3, D4, F4 instead. I also notice that this is the first time that a flat symbol appears in the diagram, so maybe the parser is having trouble with flats.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:06 pm

Whoops.. you're right about the 0m thing. Re-checking now...

Yes, I can see that it's meant to be Bb3, D4, F4. Let's see what the parser would do with that...

oh!

Yep, that's it. Looks like E-flat would've had the same problem, too.

As soon as I figure out how to deal with Realbasic's sudden refusal to work with ImageWell object arrays I'll make the fix available.

Return to “Updates and fixes”