Frustrated

Read about new features and report bugs.
Axeman

Frustrated

Postby Axeman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:05 pm

I have been playing APA for a good while now and things don't seem to be improving. I still cannont recognise tones without having a reference pitch. I teach music all day and often try to sing the correct starting tone to songs with only partial success. I have decided to play APA until I get to the finish on all tones. Then if things haven't changed I am going to try some other way. Maybe I'll just have to accept that it is a 'gift' and can't be attatined.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:00 pm

I guess when I don't update my main page regularly, people fall out of the habit of reading it...

It was a pretty big shock for me to discover that being able to correctly hear chroma does not automatically lead to absolute pitch memory and judgment. Nobody had ever discovered that before because, until APB/APA, nobody's been able to train anyone to hear chroma objectively and unambiguously.

Now that I do know this, I've been puzzling out what has to be done next so that chroma, once properly heard, can be categorically recognized.

Axeman

categorical recognition of chroma

Postby Axeman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:46 am

I have read some of what your research suggested RE recognition of chroma. It seems that it is good to be able to hear chroma in general but I think that in order to be useful the categorical recognition must also be developed. I think that the problem is that there is no hook to hang the chroma perception onto. Even the melody words are unreliable because they can be heard at the wrong pitch and still sound right relatively. I am trying to follow some of the suggestions of the guy at this sight

http://www.pianofundamentals.com/

as well as the esoteric hearing that the Fletcher Method mentioned whereby you see the notes on the staff and hear the note internally, externally and also on the instrument in the same ways. Hopefully this will give me a hook to hang the chroma perception onto.
To takle a stab in the dark. dI wonder if more extreme hooks could be devised and utilised to this purpose - perhaps a prick of the finger or something, maybe a particular taste (e.g. drink a vanilla shake) , or a particular physical exercise while listening to a particular chroma. I suppose this may be crossing into synesthesthetic manipulation territory but isn't assigning a colour to notes as in APA doing that anyway?

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:23 pm

I think you're right. I hadn't gone quite as far as to imagine those kinds of associations, but that is exactly the direction I've been thinking lately. (I really need to finish my next main-page entry.. it's still in outline form)

Return to “Updates and fixes”