Loving APA

Read about new features and report bugs.
Axeman

Loving APA

Postby Axeman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:11 pm

APA is really cool compared to APB
I am able to get through a game in the early stages in about 30 seconds when I'm on a roll. That's with the animation off.
I'm not a 100% sure if all the bugs are fixed yet Chris because it seems as though the octave thing is still happening on other pitches too. But it could be my own ear hearing overtones or somthing.
Whgen I'm playing really fast like this the my ear really zeros in on the target pitch but you still get a sense of the other non-target notes all around it.
I love being able to choose what note i'm targeting.
I am on holiday so I can put some time into the game... but playing like this i can get through about 10 games in 5 or 6 minutes. so I should be able to add the accidentals in shortly.
I am playing about 10- 20 games per pitch per day.
I am gonna go back to APB later on too to see if APA has made any difference to my success on that game.
I would like to know how to play note boat. is ther an explanation here anywhere?
later evereyone.

Axeman

randomness

Postby Axeman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:18 am

Hi Chris,
After playing the game a whole lot I have noticed that the randomness of the correct answers for each egg is becoming easy to detect i.e. there is a pattern to the answers. especially when the first egg is a non target pitch - this usually means that the rest are going to be non targets as well.
Other patterns of target pitches (T) and Non target (N) pitches that turn up are: from egg 1 -5 as follows; TNNNN, TTNNN, TTTNN, TTTTN, NNNNN. I realise that there are only 25 possible combinations available but it seems that the patterns are a bit repetitive. All the same you still have to hear the pitches right but the patterns sometimes give it away when there is ambiguity because of what I think are overtones etc.
I have also noticed that the pattern of NNNNN is often repeated straight after its first appearance.
All the same I am still enjoying the game immensely. Just thought you might like to know these things in case you want to make any changes.
Cheers

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:05 am

Oh my stars and garters. You're quite right. I had forgotten that during a debug phase I commented out the line that randomized the eggs.

Fixed.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Incidentally, the fact of your finding that pattern is a driving principle of Note Boat.

Axeman

accidentals not available when get to 100

Postby Axeman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi Chris, I have got to 100+ on all c scale notes but the minor interval pitches have not become availbale.
Alsp could I ask how many levels there are to the APA game?
Cheers

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:56 am

I wasn't able to duplicate what you describe; as soon as I set all the major-pitch levels to 100, the minor pitches were made available, and when I tested that by reducing one of them to 90 the minor pitches were again made inaccessible. What levels are you on in each pitch, exactly?

Each pitch has a total of 312 levels prior to the introduction of chord progressions, and then 112 levels of chord progressions after that.

Axeman

apa troubles

Postby Axeman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi chris I am up to level 141 on red ; the other pitches are up to 100 each.
I may try to reinstall the program to see if that helps. Once earlier the blue pitch was unavailable and when i reinstalled the program it fixed itself.

Axeman

strategy for APA

Postby Axeman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:06 am

Hi Chris,
Could you suggest a strategy for playing the game that would be most beneficial to the ear? I admit to only reading up to phase 12 in the research.

What is better training many pitches at once or one at a time?

Do I play the game using only a few different pitches per day and thus play through more levels on each or do I play shorter games but with more pitches.

I have figured out that the game will take about six months to complete if I play for 1/2 hr per day assuming about 1 minute per level.

I now have the 12 pitches operating (after reinstalling the program the earlier problem is fixed).

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:27 am

I have my suspicions about what would or wouldn't be best-- but rather than speculate on recommendations, I'd first wonder if you [will] come to discover that any one pitch is easier or more difficult than another. I'd expect they'd all be about the same difficulty, but if that isn't the case lemme know.

Axeman

pitch difficulty

Postby Axeman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:14 am

Yeah the pitches are the same in difficulty. Actually I find them all quite easy to recognise within each game. I was surprised by this especially with the #'s and b's. but I suppose that is supposed to happen. I was noticing the other pitches while playing in C amongst the notes of each button when I first started playing but that seemed to diminish as I added more ptiches. Now that I have all 12 pitches up and running the only note that jumps out at me is the target pitch of the current game. After about 3 games on one pitch my attention zeros right in on the target pitch. I have been playing about 10 - 20 games per pitch and started to target the pitches around the circle of 5ths just so i would remember each day which ones i had done. This was all before the server at work wiped the game from my laptop. So now I have to start at C again. I am playing it by storing the game on a memory stick now so it can't do that to me again! Playing C again was so easy. I played 30 games in about 15 - 20 minutes. but i was cheating a little knowinfg the non randomness of the game. I can't wait to get on to the chord progressions!
My 8 yr old son had a go on APA too. He likes to see the chicken do his thing (he looks like he has a bung legg). My son was able to recognise the target pitch quite readliy ofter a few games. He also likes the frog hopper game. I don't know if children will have the tenacity to ever finish the games however. I think back to a calculator game I used to play at high school where you had to dodge bullets. You eventullay got the pattern of each level and this was the key to clocking the game but the challenge became faster with each new level and the excitement of having to dodge was what kept your interest. i know that the punishment thing was a deterent in APB but maybe if there was some kind of dynamic interest the game would be more appealing to kids. My wife suggested a big Kenworth truck added into the mix where the chickens walk may be good. So maybe you get to go forward one step at a time according to the correctness of your answer and advance across the road trying to avoid the trucks (you could use other vehicles too - maybe even with varying side effects on the chicken - a bicycle hit might just slow it down a little for instance). This would give you motivation to listen deeply and to decide quickly on each pitch.
Personally I would keep the game as is for adults though 'cause they hopefully would have the inner motivation (the desire to attain AP) without the dynamics being added.

Return to “Updates and fixes”