ETC v7 is now available.. at long last

Read about new features and report bugs.
aruffo
Site Admin

ETC v7 is now available.. at long last

Postby aruffo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:46 am

I've taken it for a test run, and I'm pleased to report that the doggone thing works. I will explain on the main page exactly what I mean by "it works", and do so at some length, before too long, but in the meantime, well, here it is.

Upgrades continue to be free, so if you've ever bought any version of ETC in the past, please send me an e-mail to get yours... the address is, as always, eartraining [aht] aruffo [dhot] com.

If you haven't ever bought ETC, but are interested in trying out the new game, I've uploaded the demo version and you can try it out from either of the following download links:

ETC v7 Windows
ETC v7 OSX

Keep an eye on the main page for an update, soon-- I've got quite a bit to write, so it may be a while, but it's a-comin', sure as shootin'.

EvilBlade

Postby EvilBlade » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:26 am

Email sent :lol:

I downloaded the demo in the meantime, but I wanted to say that Chrome "blocks" my downloaded file saying that "it is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous", so I have to tell him to allow the file, dunno exactly why.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Okay, so it didn't take me long to write that main-page update after all-- my enthusiasm got the better of me!

Nikolaus

Postby Nikolaus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:19 pm

"I also can't be sure that my mind isn't somehow developing relative categories, rather than absolute categories, in the same way that Interval Loader trains one-note scale degrees."

one trick a lot of us musicians use to throw off our sense of key is to play a 1 4 5 1 cadence in a random key before being tested on a note... at least that way one can't think in terms of scale-degrees.

abminor

Postby abminor » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:10 am

Whaou. Chris. It s been à long Time since I have not posted but this is very interesting, maybe dare I say revolutionary. I will test this new version as soon as possible.

One thing worries you don't mention any change in the way you listen to music. Have you noticed some spontaneous note recognition ? If not what is still missing ?

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:19 am

Oh, goodness me, it's still far too early to tell.. but I am taking notes as I go.

RockofStrength

Postby RockofStrength » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:52 am

Allowing the pitches to be out of tune gives the new sensation of being out of a musical context, and into a rawer more physical sound dimension- a very different from previous games.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:26 pm

This is so exciting. I'm glad you're trying so hard through science to learn how to teach absolute pitch. I've been attempting to acquire it for like a year now, with hardly any success. Taking a week off of practicing would make me lose ALL my progress. I tried your demo and I felt like I could notice C fairly well (probably because the demo teaches no other notes, so whenever I noticed the chroma, I was able to identify). I'm only 18 and still in high school, so I don't have much money and my family is poor, but I will start saving up to purchase your program, now that it has legitimate potential.

May I comment that your program is very weak in visual design. It does not bother me, but people probably will be less likely to purchase purely because of the design. When I first stumbled on your website, the program completely turned me off and I ended up leaving your site, before going back that same day for a second read.

zacxpacx

back for good?

Postby zacxpacx » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:47 pm

Hey Chris, I'm sure you remember me posting a bunch about a year ago. I was the guy constantly heckling you on when you were going to get back to tackling perfect pitch, after getting your degree and all.

Needless to say, I was a bit hypocritical and had to take some time off myself for school. Now that it's the summer, I'm back and I wanted to know if you finally got your degree?

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:37 am

Funny you should ask. I'm in the process of scheduling my defense.!

nwalker

V7 ETC?

Postby nwalker » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi Chris,

I have been reading your research for a while now, and think its amazing what you are striving to achieve. Very interesting stuff!

Just thinking of buying ETC, however I have a quick question. In this forum you say that v7 is now available. However, on your main site, it is still advertised as v6.1. Just wondering why that is?

Many thanks for all you are doing to help people acquire perfect pitch!

Nick

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:14 am

Priorities, really. I'm more interested in the effectiveness of the game, and monitoring the work in progress, than I am in creating promotion and generating sales. When I created the promo pages for v6.1 I was certain I'd hit the mark with the new APA game's learning mechanic and wanted to shout my success to the hills. And APA actually did succeed, teaching people to actually hear chroma... and in doing so showed us that learning to hear chroma is only one important aspect of training. This in turn made me more sober about wanting results beyond a theoretical breakthrough. The results for v7 are encouraging, pointing clearly in the right directions, but are still not definitive. Once I have something uncontestable to show, well, then, believe me, the entire site will get one heck of an overhaul.

nwalker

Thanks

Postby nwalker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:56 am

Thanks chris. It all sounds really exciting! I genuinely think you have made a major breakthrough in AP aquasition. I just bought your ETC last night and am looking forward to using it. once I have used ETC for a while to learn how to hear chroma, I think I will start using the pitch paths system as well, to hopefully speed up the learning process.

I am an oboe player, and have dreamed of having absolute pitch for many years now.

May your groundbreaking work continue! !

Thanks Chris

Nick

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks! I'd also recommend Prolobe, which is free to use, as comparable to Pitch Paths.

nwalker

Thanks

Postby nwalker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:24 am

Wow. Thanks chris. will try prolobe instead of pitch paths then. save myself $22.00 :-)

Nich

Return to “Updates and fixes”