ETC for Mobil Devices

Talk about what you've discovered by using ETC-- and post your high ranks!
Archbold

Postby Archbold » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Do you think you could make the product for android devices as well? Also how much would you charge for the app and what would it include?

sinister

Postby sinister » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:13 pm

I doubt this will come out at all for any device, i've lost hope =X

louie

Postby louie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:33 am

check out karajan - although it does cost about $10, it is definately worth the purchase!

allclay

Postby allclay » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:08 pm

I am a programmer learning to write android apps, and I would love to help make a mobile version of this software!

Space

Postby Space » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:20 pm

My phone is android and I've also considered the awesomeness of having something like ETC (particularly APA) for it. I've tried a handful of eartraining apps and they're all pretty weak.

I truly believe that AP and all eartraining for that matter, is a matter of short-term to long-term memory. Not the experience of AP itself but maintaining the direction of aural focus to the absoluteness of pitch. So, it would be incredibly useful and convenient to be able to work on it throughout the day, anytime, anywhere.

Not to mention, a successful Android/iPhone app might bring ya a few bucks, Chris, which certainly never hurts :wink:

Just a quick reminder, though: the two bugs that have stood out the most playing APA are these:

1) eggs that clearly have the target pitch but the game claims they do not

2) there is no 'end' to any of the target pitches. For example, on the red egg, I get to ave 312 and it just gives me an error message and claims it has to shut down ETC.

PS: Also, PLEASE consider the inclusion of additional avenues that expose the listener to the eggs in strong tonal contexts. Disrupting the reliance on identifying the pitch by its sense of being the 'tonic' would go a long way, I think.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:11 pm

ETC is actually at the top of my priority list-- if only I weren't so thoroughly bogged down with the PhD writing. To make a long story short on that score, it's obvious that, at this point in its development, I can't do any kind of extended project until it's completed.. and I have far less control over that than I'd like because so much of it is waiting for my committee members to provide feedback. Sigh.

I have realized... well, remembered.. that Edgar Allan Poe had a point about the "snail processes" that are scientific advancement. The reason that my interest in researching AP as my PhD died on the vine is primarily that most of the conclusions I had reached from my book-research were, technically, speculative. To test the phenomena I was interested in would first require years of work to validate the underlying assumptions.

But there's another way to go about things... that is, rather than do scientific tests hoping for a measurable result, I can instead produce a measurable result which then must be explained through scientific inquiry... and that's the kind of thing that can attract grant money. Perceptual differentiation (the current ETC) gets results, but I haven't been falling over myself to collect the data it generates because it's not the final result I'm looking for. So what I'm figuring instead is that I want to create a new game, for a new version of ETC, based on bimodal distribution. I'll include it with new ETC purchases (upgrades from old versions are, of course, going to continue to be free)... but, in this case, because the process-to-result is not as crystal clear as perceptual differentiation, part of the software license is simply going to be the anonymous reporting of gameplay statistics back to me, so I can find out whether it's working and, if so, how so.

Some of you may be aware that a Realbasic upgrade ruined my ETC source-- the code was still in place, but the connections between the code and the visual elements were broken-- and the magnitude of this fix has stood between me and bugfixes. On the plus side, though, this might give me the incentive I need to develop for mobile after all... although the mobile version might be more bare-bones visually. I'll have to see when I get this PhD monkey off my back.

Space

Postby Space » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:46 pm

I wish I could help. My dad has owned his own software company since 1987 and was programming years before that. Yet, I don't know a thing about it. He never taught me anything about what he does other than that it deals in structural dynamics - which is all about measuring vibration resonances of various machine parts for quality control on factory lines. He did the same kind of work on the first space shuttle back in the late 70's. Interesting stuff.

I really want to learn how to code myself. When I do my eartraining I typically have 3 to 4 applications open simultaneously. Some combination of APA, Absolute Pitch Dictator, Groove Builder, Pitch Player, and Prolobe. I need all of these things to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish with my eartraining. It would be nice if I could have it all rolled into one package.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:38 am

What would you say each of those applications does for you?

Space

Postby Space » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:12 am

I've actually been meaning to figure out how to record my desktop while I do some eartraining sessions so I can demonstrate that firsthand to those who are curious.

It's really simple in my mind but when I go to explain it in words, I'm suddenly aware of the many details involved.

Essentially, though, I've been working on a few different things.

I feel I've gotten most of what I can out of APA as far as the benefit of using it to get a 'lock' on various pitches. Once you reach the point where you have all eggs unlocked, and generally practice in "random pitches" mode + "randomized" timbre mode at all times, you've pretty much reached the limit. As far as playing with a single pitch at a time, I could easily sit and just blaze right through all avenues of any pitch in one sitting without a hitch. Up until the very last number of avenues, the pitch is easy to lock onto because after playing for a short while it gets set in my mind as a virtual tonal center. So all note combinations and melodies, no matter how weird are heard in relationship to the target pitch. I will say, though, that there are some more 'musical' melodies that establish a stronger sense of keys other than the key of the target pitch and can throw me off ever so slightly if I'm not paying attention. This is why I've recommended adding more of those types of melodies and chord combinations in additional avenues.

SOOO, all that being said, I have gotten into the 'melody trigger' game and I'm actually using the melody words you've provided in APA. So that's my primary use for APA now.

As far as other applications, stuff like Pitch Player, Absolute Pitch Dictator, and Prolobe are mainly to work on identifying pitches and pitch combinations across all octaves, and in different timbres, etc. etc.

I use Groove Builder to set a 12-bar blues in whatever key I wish in order to work on hearing the melody triggers in all different keys.

Basically I'm attacking things from different angles. Learning to hear my 12 melody triggers against all 12 key centers (which involves APA, APDictator, Groove Builder and Prolobe) and also working on listening to pure pitch chroma and speed recognition (which involves APDictator, Pitch Player, and Groove Builder).

My goal here is to learn to hear each pitch as a trigger and a chroma (for reinforcement) against all 12 key centers and I've also begun trying to learn to hear all possible 2 note combinations as single entities (chroma, interval, and relationship to key all heard simultaneously as one 'unit' of sound) - and to have this recognition be as instantaneous as possible.

The 2 note combinations are a lot harder than I thought. It's one thing to sit and give yourself all the time in the world to work out a particular combination of notes but as you speed up the metronome, it can become insanely confusing as the various combinations screw with your sense of key and you don't have time to meditatively listen 'through' the timbre for the chroma.

Sorry about all of that. I've been wanting to do a couple of videos where I simply record my desktop while I do what I do and explain the method to my madness.

Wade

Postby Wade » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:29 pm

If a mobile game is a possibility, I recommend going the HTML5/JavaScript route, rather than making a native Android and/or iOS app. Take a look at the midi.js project, for example. That way you don't have to worry about the details of different platforms or devices, and your game can run on almost anything with a browser.

only

Please Please Do!

Postby only » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:29 am

hi chris! wish you the best with the progress with your PHD!

i really would find a mobile version of ETC to be totally helpful and rad. in my honest opinion, interval loader has produced the best results for me. thats actually the one i use over all the other ones.

for me, however, the mobile device would be so good because these days, i barely am on my desktop. im always out, either taking the train to a gig, waiting for my car repairs to get done, or waiting at the doctors, etc... i actually have a personal goal to hit 10,000 hours with my relative pitch practice. kind of rediculous, but i find thats one of the easiest ways for me to stay motivated! i just keep chipping away at it.

as far as absolute pitch avenue, i havent seen much results other than being able to isolate my attention to a specific note, during practice. but in a musical setting, my ear or brain just doesnt seem to function in the way that the program is teaching me.

if you do decide to make a mobile version for this, please be sure to have the interval loader! cuz... that's the best!!!

Return to “Your observations”