Initial Observations using APA

Talk about what you've discovered by using ETC-- and post your high ranks!
fnmpm

Initial Observations using APA

Postby fnmpm » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:59 pm

Wonderful program, I like the design a lot, and I see you've put a lot of thought and work into it. Thank you!

Some observations I made while playing:
- When hearing chords, I usually hear the target tone closer to my left ear

- When doing 1 tone or harmonic intervals, I 'search' for the tone, and can actively hear it separately. However, when doing chords with 4-5 tones (I assume at about av 35?), there's this almost ethereal quality/sound that I hear (for C, it sounds almost like a phaser-like "byurrr", perhaps this has to do with the timbre of the piano also?). I don't need to search for the tones, I just know its present. If I over-think it and search, then I usually make a mistake. Perhaps this is that hidden quality, the chroma?

- The most difficult ones for me are the ones where all five eggs contain the tone. As mentioned above, I lose track for a second of that quality when all the chords have them. However, the easiest is when there's only 1 egg or 4, because then I notice immediately which one has it, or which one is missing.

- I wish I didn't have to hear the song every time I proceed to another avenue because I feel that this way, I'm only using my relative pitch. Would playing the song only once every 5-10 levels be more effective for the long-term memory we're seeking? Please correct me if there is a reason for playing it each time.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:31 pm

The newer version doesn't require you to play the melody each time, just the first time you start the game. E-mail me for an update...

When many of them have the target, it'll be more difficult because they all have different contexts for the pitch. If you actively compare them to each other, playing them alternately, the comparison will improve your ability to filter out what isn't chroma.

I've felt that same "placelessness" you describe as ethereal. I'm not sure how it can be explained.

fnmpm

Postby fnmpm » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:11 pm

I went out for a while and for sometime after playing the game, I had an idea of what "C" was in my mind. I tried to hear it in peoples voices and other sounds, but I couldn't. However, it still remained in my mind. But when I turned on the radio and listened for a while, it felt like I lost it. When I returned home, I hummed and checked myself, it was C#. That's pretty close, but it still seems like when I focus on listening to songs, I lose the constant tone in my head. Perhaps this long term memory will improve.

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Sat May 15, 2010 9:02 pm

I don't mean to necro post or anything, but...

@ Chris:

I downloaded the demo of APA 6.1 recently and it has the same flaw as he just described. I am forced to listen to the melody on EVERY avenue, which seems to make it too easy to accidentally use my sense of relative pitch.

Are you going to fix this soon? Or did I download an older, outdated version?

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Mon May 17, 2010 11:33 am

The melody is obliged to play at the beginning of a game, but only the once..

Realbasic did me the disservice of deleting all the image arrays in the uncompiled software, so I have hundreds of images to set right before I can make more fixes and updates (major or minor).

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Mon May 17, 2010 5:14 pm

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand you. So are you saying that this is a "known bug" and that you're working on it at the moment, or will get around to it eventually, but need to address the "image array" issue first?

Or am I perhaps simply doing something wrong? :(

I downloaded ETC about a week or so ago. And the behaviour I just described above is definitely present in the game (demo version 6.1).

Like I said, every time I complete an avenue (not just once at the beginning of the game), it requires me to click on the red egg which plays the C major tune, before I can click on any of the six eggs below. All of the numbered eggs, the paintbrush, and the "GO" button are completely unresponsive until AFTER I've clicked the red egg and listened to the entire tune.
Last edited by BigRed on Mon May 17, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Mon May 17, 2010 5:30 pm

I do need to address the image array thing before I make any more modifications... but I just double-checked and the full version doesn't require the melody to be played between avenues, just at game launch.

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Mon May 17, 2010 6:35 pm

Hmmm...

I am going to delete and re-download the software then, just to be sure!

Oops, nevermind. You said the full version.
Last edited by BigRed on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Mon May 17, 2010 8:10 pm

oops.
Last edited by BigRed on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Tue May 18, 2010 6:20 am

nevermind.
Last edited by BigRed on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:07 pm

Oops! :roll:

I just noticed that in the above post you said the "FULL" version of the game does not exibit this behavior! Somehow I missed that. I edited my posts to reflect this.

It would be nice if you could update the demo to address this flaw, when you get the chance. Thnx. :D

Return to “Your observations”