The power of Repetitiveness

Talk about what you've discovered by using ETC-- and post your high ranks!
aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:59 pm

That's the topic of the latest "phase" on the main site... which just keeps getting older and older... if you want to see what i mean just check er out.

I think this forum is programmed so's you can click on someone's profile and see all their posts.. so you can find out the last time Gavriel was around, or even send him a personal message...

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:47 pm

On your research, I thought the whole how-is-AP-learned kind of thing was fascinating. I think the dilemma you face with the listening to environment may be simply that most people don't pay attention to the sounds in their environment, and don't even consider that a truck or car horn may have a pitch, while AP-ers may hear a sharp Eb when a car honks or a B when the microwave beeps. A theory of mine is that it may be possible for a kid to learn AP if they constantly listen to the world all around them. Of course there is no proof whatsoever, but it was just a thought that occurred to me.

Archbold

Postby Archbold » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:06 pm

It's true as I became more aware that alot of things produce pitches such as birds or the noise a subway car makes when it closes it doors pitches start to make me curious. If I hear a pitch I now use relative pitch or a song I remember in my head to figure the note out.

I now find that if I were to remember the melody or a bass line to a song that I hear them in my head at the pitch it's supposed to be at but when I hear a note I know that it's a pitch but I can't tell you what it is.

In other news I'm able to reproduce pitches on my instrument the upright bass if someone sings a random pitch to me and even then I'm only 70% right.

RockofStrength

Postby RockofStrength » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:15 pm

lorelei is right. Most people don't even know that things CAN be categorized by pitch. For example, I can tell any bat that is being used just by the sound it makes (not that that's too useful!).

Return to “Your observations”