Anyone else plateau?

Talk about what you've discovered by using ETC-- and post your high ranks!
Leo

Anyone else plateau?

Post by Leo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:49 am

:oops: Well it seems the honeymoon period is over.

I am having difficulty with moving to the next level. :shock: Not to say I won't it just seems to be a bit more challenging.

Comments on each exercise...

Absolute Pitch Blaster: No candy coating here, I am struggling. Week 3 and I am still at cadet third class :oops: Not to say I won't progress further. I think part of the issue is I'm not quite sure what to expect. It could be possible that my ear has shut down. I am planning on sticking with it.

Interval Builder: Promising, I am stuck at the umbrella, but I can tell that each round I am hearing the differences in tone more clearly. I'm certain that I will again move past this plateau.

Chord Fall: This is the most promising as I am hearing the chord quality more clearly. I am confident that this plateau is temporary. I just recently realized that each animal displays a chord name, this will be quite useful.

Absolute Pitch seems to be a bit more challenging than Relative Pitch. Which actually is okay for me. I've heard that of the 2 Relative Pitch is somewhat more useful.

I haven't thrown in the towel yet.

KosciaK

Re: Anyone else plateau?

Post by KosciaK » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:58 am

Leo wrote:Absolute Pitch Blaster: No candy coating here, I am struggling. Week 3 and I am still at cadet third class :oops: Not to say I won't progress further. I think part of the issue is I'm not quite sure what to expect. It could be possible that my ear has shut down. I am planning on sticking with it.

Don't worry it take some time to get used to a bit different way of listening. It might be a good idea (especially in the beginnig) to play from scratch every time you play. Which version do you use? 4.2 or 4.1? In 4.1 you start a new game at 4th of every rank, in 4.2 at the place you have stopped so you need to make some workaround. Try this one:
Create a new player. Start playing APB - for sure you will notice that getting to Cadet 3rd again is much easier then before. If you want to play other games just restart ETC and choose the main player. Now if you want to start APB from Cadet 4th again go to folder C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\ Just for sure backup all the files named ETCsomething and delete file ETCPitchScoresX where X should be highest number (no number - first player, 1 - second, 2 third and so on)

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:30 am

I do need to make a device to drop back again for APB-- too many restarts at the same rank should lead to a demotion.

As for "plateauing"... progress in these games is strangely invisible. For myself I've compared it to walking through a desert or other place with no obvious landmarks-- step by step, you don't feel like you're getting anywhere, but then you turn around and look at where you started and realize how far you've come. To some extent, the benchmarks and the high scores help to identify the progress you're making, but the best measure is real-life experience, and that's not really structured in a way to demonstrate "progress".