Hearing Songs in Your Head

Talk about what you've discovered by using ETC-- and post your high ranks!
Hannibal88

Hearing Songs in Your Head

Postby Hannibal88 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:51 pm

This is a topic that I hadn't really thought to discuss with people, but what are your experiences with this, and how do they relate to your approach to APB? Do you struggle to hear simple melodies in your head, or can you memorize complete pieces and play them back?

I've found that I have little difficulty listening to a piece of music and then playing it back verbatim in my head, with a pretty complete set of instruments, textures, etc. I have a lot of long classical pieces memorized whose names I don't even know, as well as a lot of my personal music collection (mostly technical heavy metal).

Unfortunately, I can't seem to draw the connection between what I can hear in my "mind's ear" and which notes are being played. Occasionally, I can think of a tune which I've heard in the past, and just sing the notes, and I can *feel* that I'm dead on, but most the time, I can't do that. I suppose it's a step that when I sing something wrong, I *know* it's wrong, but for some reason I can't seem to make the necessary connection to get it right.

Songs which I know how to play, I can also recognize, and although I could name the notes played as I hear those songs, it's difficult to take those notes out of context and hear them when they're applied to a song I don't know how to play.

Just curious to see what everyone else's experiences are.

losvedir

Re: Hearing Songs in Your Head

Postby losvedir » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:46 am

Hannibal88 wrote:This is a topic that I hadn't really thought to discuss with people, but what are your experiences with this, and how do they relate to your approach to APB? Do you struggle to hear simple melodies in your head, or can you memorize complete pieces and play them back?

I've found that I have little difficulty listening to a piece of music and then playing it back verbatim in my head, with a pretty complete set of instruments, textures, etc. I have a lot of long classical pieces memorized whose names I don't even know, as well as a lot of my personal music collection (mostly technical heavy metal).

Unfortunately, I can't seem to draw the connection between what I can hear in my "mind's ear" and which notes are being played. Occasionally, I can think of a tune which I've heard in the past, and just sing the notes, and I can *feel* that I'm dead on, but most the time, I can't do that. I suppose it's a step that when I sing something wrong, I *know* it's wrong, but for some reason I can't seem to make the necessary connection to get it right.

Songs which I know how to play, I can also recognize, and although I could name the notes played as I hear those songs, it's difficult to take those notes out of context and hear them when they're applied to a song I don't know how to play.

Just curious to see what everyone else's experiences are.

Only right as I'm falling asleep can I hear things pretty clearly in my head. Otherwise, I just sort of remember and can "internally hum" along to it. If I don't hum to myself, though (doesn't have to make an audible sound, but I have to at least "produce" it myself), I won't hear anything. In other words, I can't just sit back and listen to music in my mind's eye.

Also, just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by "technical heavy metal"...? It sounds intriguing! Is it like, Apocrypha, maybe?

paul-donnelly

Postby paul-donnelly » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:17 pm

I can picture music in my mind just fine. I sometimes have trouble remembering how a song goes (I have the same trouble with lyrics), but when I do remember a song clearly, or make one up, I can hear it in my head. It's really frustrating to not be able to just play it or write it down when I can hear it in my head as clearly as I could from a CD.

davemac

Postby davemac » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:51 am

For me theres a definite relevance here to AP.The more clearly you can hear internally the more chance you have of producing AP tones out of thin air so to speak,rather than identifying tones that are being played for you.
In the past,if I wanted to learn a tune I would pick up a guitar and play almost without thinking, certainly not a thought for intervals or chord progressions,or inversions etc.I soon realised that when I tried to notate even simple tunes without any external help at all,it was a different thing all together.For me, establishing the key note internally would seem to be the main problem,but as I said before this is definitely improving and though it still feels like I,m translating to some extent ,it sounds more like music.The point is that for me at least,there seems to be different areas of the brain that need to cooperate better,and transcribing in this way is hopefully beneficial.
I should add that I think there is also another area of the brain that I use for just listening ,this is the bit that keeps playing a tune round and round at 1am in the morning,knowing that I have to up for work at 4am!

Hannibal88

Postby Hannibal88 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:31 pm

losvedir wrote:Also, just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by "technical heavy metal"...? It sounds intriguing! Is it like, Apocrypha, maybe?

Don't know who they are... some examples that I listen to are Demilich, Immolation, Lamb of God, Mirrorthrone. A lot of the really complex stuff out there is very underground, hence I doubt you've heard of any of those bands with the exception of Lamb of God, who are mch more famous than the others.

Hannibal88

Postby Hannibal88 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:36 pm

As a follow-up, I've noticed that when I play songs in my head whose melodies I know (i.e., those I've played myself), I can stop at any point and play the last note I heard [in my mind] and it matches the piano's pitch. I guess this is suggestive of something; it's too bad it's so frustrating to bring it out.

JayBird

Excellent Topic - Let's Keep it Going

Postby JayBird » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:19 pm

From everything I have ever read about being able to sing in tune and play melodies by ear it requires that the person be able to hear the pitches in his/her head first. I have always had trouble with this but have been getting better. That comment about being able to do it just as one is falling asleep applies to me too. What do you suppose causes this? How can one develop the ability to do this consciously during the day? I feel as though there is an abundance of music stored in my brain that I can't consciously get at. Also, I’m certain that I can hear all of the different pitch colors. That is, I have a certain relationship with or understanding of each note. Hard to explain. Each one sounds unique. I can even recall the sound and sing the note, BUT, only when I can hear the music in my head first. I have to sort of dance around in my thoughts until it pops out only for a moment. If I catch it before it fades away, I’ll sing it and be right almost all of the time. I’m starting to think I don’t really need any more ear training but rather develop the ability to get at what is already ingrained somewhere in my brain. Does anyone else feel this?

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:28 am

I have no problems hearing songs clearly in my head. If I hear the song clearly in my head I can walk up to a tuner and sing into it on key, even if I have not heard the song in years.

I started the ETC demo yesterday and will probably buy the full version today. It's been a rough start for me as I am not sure if I have absolute pitch or not. Picking the key note out at higher octaves is getting me right now but I am going to keep at it.

I'm really glad I found this site and software.

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:40 pm

How in control are you people of the music you play back in your head? Can you decide what piece is being played, and how detailed is the texture?
My experience of having music in my head is of being in control most of the time. I can change it at will and transpose it. Sometimes I get annoyed when I realize it's playing in the wrong key.

waleeed

Postby waleeed » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:20 am

I should add that I think there is also another area of the brain that I use for just listening ,this is the bit that keeps playing a tune round and round at 1am in the morning,knowing that I have to up for work at 4am!

waleeed

Postby waleeed » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:21 am

My experience of having music in my head is of being in control most of the time. I can change it at will and transpose it. Sometimes I get annoyed when I realize it's playing in the wrong key.

Return to “Your observations”