A new insight was just gained.

Talk about what you've discovered by using ETC-- and post your high ranks!
Angelman

A new insight was just gained.

Postby Angelman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:49 am

The latest ETC update has restored my interest in gaining absolute pitch and its related research. I give music lessons at a music store and I would be delighted to learn that I could teach my older students absolute pitch!

I was reading the "We Hear and Play" page and the information contained within it and I realized that I may have a form a incomplete absolute pitch. I'm sure there are plenty of non-APers who have had those moments where they hear something and know instantly what pitch it is and then that feeling goes away as quickly as it came. I had that recently when I went to play a digital piano and it sounded completely wrong.
I freaked because I thought "how can a digital piano be out of tune?" then I noticed the transpose button was on. Then I stopped and thought "How did I know it was off?"

Then I've been thinking about how I can and have always recognized the standard D Major chord on an acoustic guitar. In fact, I can hear it in my head and recall the F#. I thought nothing of this until I read the information on the We Hear and Play page.

I decided to see if this was really the case or just wishful thinking. I went to http://detrave.net/nblume/perfect-pitch/ to test my 'perfect pitch.'
Since I'm a trained musician, I would recall the F# then use relative pitch to get the notes.

So far, so good. If I made a mistake, I would be off by a half step but not only that, if I made too many mistakes in a row, I would give myself a short break and then recall the F# again and get it right. My pitch recall is 100% accurate as long as I take it easy and not have any reference tones, oddly enough.

So this raises the question for me, If I can recall one note, is there a way to train to recall more notes as an adult? Or is it the same as a non-APer wanting to acquire it, a matter of finding out how to teach/learn it first?

Finally, I truly feel that the Absolute Pitch Painter game is on the right track and can only hope it'll be the one to lead to answering my questions.

Return to “Your observations”