old versions

Talk about what you've discovered by using ETC-- and post your high ranks!
aruffo
Site Admin

old versions

Postby aruffo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:09 am

I was just fiddling around with older versions of ETC. It's kind of a shame that I don't have v3 any more. I don't remember whether I actually programmed Absolute Pitcher (throwing baseballs at ducks) but I obviously put a lot of work into the images.. and I seem to recall that there was some kind of fatal flaw with the Chordsweeper game but I'm disappointed that I can't still try it and remind myself of what exactly that was.

I still have v4, and I'd forgotten that Chordfall was fun to play.. but in playing it, though, I was reminded that I abandoned that game because every game took frickin' forever.

I'm fairly sure that the only difference between v5 and v6 was the replacement of Absolute Pitch Blaster with Absolute Pitch Avenue.

The difference between v6 and v7 will be the replacement of Note Boat with Absolute Pitch Painter. I had hoped to have all five games present in v7, but the Realbasic-upgrade savaging of my source code made Note Boat unsalvageable. I figure I'll offer v6 to anyone who gets v7 and wants Note Boat.

v7 is coming along. I'm sticking with Realbasic for now, just because of my bewilderment in approaching mobile programming, but I'm designing it with mobile in mind. The mechanics of the main game are in place, and I'm now making it prettier and making it work more smoothly. Then I'll need to figure out the secondary game, and program all the scores and statistics routines. I don't know how long it'll take me, but it's under active development.

Once it's done, I will finally-- FINALLY-- be able to address some bugs that have long since been brought to my attention... the 300+ level bug in APA, for one, and the inverted-chord problem in Chordhopper. (I may have to address the inverted-chord problem just by eliminating the problematic inversions.)

Upgrades to v7 (for people who bought v6 or earlier) will, of course, be free. I may need to add a requirement, though, that advancing through the game will require data files to be sent to me. I'm not too keen on that idea-- I know I'd find it a drag if I had a program that periodically nagged me to send files-- but I have great expectations of this game, and if I gather hard data it will help all of us understand how and (gulp) if the game is working to teach honest-to-gosh perfect pitch.

EvilBlade

Postby EvilBlade » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Needless to say but.. Cant wait to play it!!

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Oh good!

Development is chugging along. I'm saving what comments I have about it for when I've finished-- just cuz I'd rather spend the time programming than thinking about programming-- but once it's ready for an initial release, I'll have quite a bit more to say on the main page.

Wade

Postby Wade » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:15 pm

IIRC certain chords in Chordsweeper had an irresoluble ambiguity; they could have more than one harmonic function. Although couldn't you just have the program accept more than one answer?

Wade

Postby Wade » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:27 pm

Re: mobile devices, I've read that it's easiest to use something called libpd to embed music functionality in an app, since iOS and Android have poor or nonexistent support for MIDI.

Kivy is one example of a software framework that allows you to make cross-platform mobile apps using a more approachable language than Java or Objective-C (which are kind of overkill for a simple game).

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Ah! I'll look into Kivy.

The bugs I know about are the APA 300+ level bug, where it plays an unrecognizable blort instead of a tone, and yes, that Chordhopper design error, where the inversions are identical. I'll have to figure out whether it'd be easier to allow two different answers or to suppress the inversions from being selected.

Return to “Your observations”