An idea- how about vowel voice?

Talk about what you've discovered by using ETC-- and post your high ranks!
jac

An idea- how about vowel voice?

Postby jac » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:17 am

Hello all…

I’ve read a while ago Chris’s page about vowel whispers. But, how about using our voice for listening to chroma?

Sing a “C” in all the vowels. Record in our voice a C in all vowels and listen to them.
Then sing a “D” in all vowels and record.
Compare in different ways. Compare with same pitch different vowel sound, different pitch same vowel, different pitch different vowel.
Listen to the chroma.

For a reference use a piano. There is some subtle difference in the sound when different vowels are used, but since the chroma stays the same for a pitch it this would require a different kind of listening right? What do you think?

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 am

Well, when I was investigating vowel whispers before I'm not sure I fully recognized that not only are vowels a mix of multiple frequencies, but whispered vowels add white noise into that mix as well-- and our minds calculate "the pitch" as being the mathematical center of the "mass". (I forget the reference for that research at the moment.) So using vowels for such a purpose could be exceedingly imprecise.

(Or not.)

jac

Postby jac » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks for the reply, Aruffo. I'm reading through the whole forum, found a thread that said vowel is made of the musical pitch and also pitches that define the vowel. So that makes it complex.

Space

Postby Space » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:21 am

Again, not so sure about the formant hypothesis itself, but for many years now there was that list of vowel-like descriptions of the pitches that some woman gave to Peter Devetten (probably spelling his last name wrong...not to mention, wonder whatever happened to him?).

I'm noticing the deeper I go into trying to stay focused on my perception of pitch chroma, I'm starting to feel a certain connection to that woman's description of absolute pitches as being almost like vowel sounds. Each pitch seems to create an internal 'ghost shape' in my vocal apparatus as if I'm trying to form my mouth into a phoneme that would match it.

But I don't think it's the same thing as formants...and yet, maybe it kind of is? Similar at least.

Ha.

jac

Postby jac » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:52 am

Yup, I suspect the ghost shape thing is because of the shape that the vocal cords make to get that pitch right. But interestingly i find this vowel pattern in other instruments also.

Space

Postby Space » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Hmm, just to clarify, it's more like the whole vocal apperatus - the throat and mouth - and not really the vocal cords themselves at all. There's a mental sensation in that area of the throat and mouth attempting to take the 'shape' of the pitch. Not necessarily the same thing as the tension one puts in the vocal cords to sing a pitch.

Also, I would agree that timbre creates a similar effect given that speech itself IS rapidly shifting timbres (vowels) in combination with percussive sounds (consonants).

HOWEVER, the sensation of pitch chroma is the same regardless of timbre. Though, some timbres mask the pitch chroma more than others. In those cases, typically I find myself IDing the pitch via other means than direct chroma perception itself. Even if the recognition happens virtually instantaneously I feel like I can tell that it was not direct chroma perception that did it.

Return to “Your observations”