Anyone done this type of ear training?

General topics and issues.
bradgaming

Anyone done this type of ear training?

Post by bradgaming » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:32 pm

What I'm currently doing is I have a recording of 3 C notes in equal temperament played together as a chord with inharmonic overtones on each one of the tones as a sine wave. From here I play this in a media player and play the absolute pitch game here http://www.silvawood.co.uk/pitch-intro.htm (i have full version btw :P).

That chord is C2, C3, and C4 put together as its playing I play the game and just match up to C's as they pass by. Now as I get a couple say 5-10 right since it takes quite awhile for the C's to roll around from here I'll slowly turn down the background drone of the C chord that I made as well as pan it left and right. I've also found that I can do it just the opposite like turn the chord up really loud and just barely hear the game and when I hear a spot that has nothing I click the key or hit space which means my note came up but since the chord was playing I was unable to hear it. Eventually getting to the point where I don't need the background C chord drone and turning it off. Anyone tried anything similar to this?

Just for laughs I kinda see this as like learning to ride a bike and using training wheels or figuring out what shapes fit inside what holes with that one toy. :lol:

BTW Does anyone use ear muffs when then do ear training cause my PC puts out a horrible E and I can't help but pay attention to it. It's so annoying ACK!!!!

Well upon further thinking I might change this up and either blend this chord with one that doesn't have inharmonic overtones or record one on the left channel the original chord and the new one without inharmonic overtones on the right channel.