Difficulty with quick notes or low sustain instruments

Comments and questions about AP Avenue.
luis

Difficulty with quick notes or low sustain instruments

Postby luis » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:59 am

I've bought ETC a few days ago and I could go up to Ave 53 very quickly with almost no mistakes (I am an amateur classical guitarist). But now it is hard to me.

Harmonic sounds do not fool me. I can recognize the C within any chord up to now, whenever it has some sustain. My problem is in the melodic notes, specifically when C note is played very quickly (duration of the note is short).

I use random instruments feature and it is also more difficult to me when emulated instrument has a quick decay (low sustain).

Any tip to improve this kind of perception?

cheers,
Luis

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:07 pm

Only two-- one is practice, practice, practice. The more you encounter the same problem(s), the more your mind will automatically begin to recognize the patterns and puzzle them out for you.

Secondly, be sure NOT to slow down the notes. The melodic chords are actually perceived as a single entity-- a "syllable"-- and although it seems like you hear the notes independently, you actually hear the single clump-unit and tease them apart after. By slowing down the notes, you change the task from having to hear ONE sound into having to hear THREE or FOUR sounds, and this is more difficult.

Stefan

Postby Stefan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Perhaps use only a guitar sound instead of random timbres on your first round through? That might make it a bit easier for you to hear the 'C', humming/singing the tone helps as well as trying to hear the tone in your mind before you sing/listen...

luis

Postby luis » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks for the tips.

I've understood that the main goal of the exercises is to identify the "C" sound within the chord/harmonic sound "mess". I've noticed it is working with me and I am beginning to identify the "C" through its "taste" or "color" or whatever.
When I hear several notes together, I don't try to identify each note, I just look for the C "taste" within that sound. I am talking about "taste" because it is something like that if I eat slowly I can recognize the onion inside the sauce, but when I swallow it quickly I don't notice it. But it does not mean I need to feel all components in the sauce, I am just looking for the onion taste.

So my difficulty is not even in the harmonics, but when there is a two-notes sequence (melodically) and the first note is very quick. If I repeat the sequence a lot, then I can finally identify it. But I thought that doing this was some kind of "cheating". Reading through the site and the forum I found that comparing eggs to each other and repeating is supposed to be part of the learning curve, so I am just doing it now and I am going on...

Return to “Absolute Pitch Avenue”