Where I'm at

Comments and questions about AP Avenue.
Space

Where I'm at

Postby Space » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:37 am

Ok, since I finally figured out how to save my progress, I'm up to 187th ave (C), 124th rd (G) and 51st cir (E). I always do 10 levels of the newest note (currently E) and then I do random notes until I move up one ave with C.

I do this as the final part of my little AP/RP challenge I proposed. I'm up to E as my groove builder key with C in APB.

So has anybody else tried my idea? It really offers a new challenge to the mix.

Robspace

Kayd

Postby Kayd » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:05 pm

OK, that begs the question, just how many levels are there???

I thnk it will be a while before I'm in a position to try what you suggest :)

Space

Postby Space » Mon May 18, 2009 12:32 am

I'm past 200th ave with C now with no end in site. I guess I'll just keep pluggin' away :)

Rob

Kayd

Postby Kayd » Tue May 19, 2009 7:02 pm

Since I'm working on only one note (for now), I have no idea what the random note feature is, but from what you've said I would infer that it randomly pick from amongst the available notes, and also that you can make progress on any of those notes. If that's true, then I think your method makes a lot of sense. Are you also using random instruments and if so which ones?

Space

Postby Space » Wed May 20, 2009 12:26 pm

Yeah, on 'random note' it chooses randomly from the available notes. Basically, it allows you to make progress on any note as long as you've reached the 120 level of that note. Like, right now, I've got C, G, E, A and D. I continue going up levels with C, G, E and A but note D because I haven't reached level 120 with it yet. Basically, this means you have to work on each note individually in addition to randomly.

That's why I always do 5 levels of the newest note (in my case D for now) and then I do random notes until I go up one ave with C.

Also, I always do random timbres with all timbres selected. A few of the timbres are ridiculous and no pitches can be made out but if you just click on the egg again, it will play another timbre. It's actually really good to be able to cycle through timbres on the same egg while keeping your focus on the target pitch. Eventually you won't have any problems with the timbre obscuring the pitch - what Burge calls "Universal Color Discrimination". I think that's why I've made so much progress in hearing the pitches in actual music. There are so many timbres in actual music and they obscure the chroma of pitches.

I really think Timbre and Relationship are the number one things to get under control in order to hear pitch in actual music. APA is helping to get through the timbre situation and Groove Builder is helping to get used to the sound of pitches in all different tonal contexts.

Space

did it again

Postby Space » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:07 pm

As I tend to do, I changed up my routine and decided to take a different approach. I decided that what I was doing took up too much time per session (30mins). I think sessions should be no longer than 15-20 because of the concentration time. And anyway, if I've got the time I can just do 2 in a row.

The way that I'm switching things up is I'm only using Pitch Player and APA (with the groove builder and/or songs in the keys I'm working in the background). I do twice through Pitch Player, once while listening to a song in the background and once by itself. Then I do 5 roads of the note I'm working on with a song in the background and 5 alone. Then I do 1 ave of C in random timbres with a song in the background and one without.

After I got through C in all keys I decided to go with sticking in just one key at a time through the whole game. So I'm going to complete the game in G now and then do the same in each key. I figure this will really establish each pitch as a central point of focus until it's well absorbed. It's been working well with G so far. I can sing a G pretty well at anytime now either by itself or by thinking of one of the 3 songs I'm using in the background. That's after about a week and a half of doin it.

Rob

Return to “Absolute Pitch Avenue”