AP Blaster. How is this different from simple memorization?

Comments and questions about AP Avenue.
BottleNeck Baby

AP Blaster. How is this different from simple memorization?

Post by BottleNeck Baby » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:46 pm

I dont understand how APB will teach note recognition. It feels like the note is just getting engrained in my mind but as soon as I have stopped playing the game for more that 2 minutes, I seem to have forgotten what the note sounds like. It feels almost like Im sitting down at a keyboard and memorizing the note. I'm useing the demo version and just got it today, so maybe that has something to do with it.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:34 am

I just finished writing a reply to this which I am attempting to post on the main page-- the connection to my hosting provider seems to be thoroughly wonky right now. But keep an eye out for an update in the next few minutes, and please let me know here if it answers your question..!

BottleNeck Baby

Post by BottleNeck Baby » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:50 am

thanks for the reply. It helped alot. In your reply You mentioned that being able to recognize pitches flawlessly wouldn't have much effect on your over all musicianship. However, wouldn't being able to identify pitches allow you to be able to compose songs in your head or be able to hear a melody and play it without guessing? So are you saying that after someone finishes ablsolute pitch blaster they would hardly be a better musician. I'm sorry if you have already answered this question before but I dont remember reading it.

paul-donnelly

Post by paul-donnelly » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:37 am

It's not so much that absolute pitch will make you a better musician, but that it will give you a valuable tool to become a better musician. Pitch is only a small part of music. Rhythm, phrasing, and tone are part of it, as is proficiency on your instrument. That's not to say AP won't be benificial, or that pitch isn't an important part of music, but having a great sense of pitch is only one part of being a musician. And AP isn't the only way to know which pitches to play. Knowing theory will let you decide what sort of thing you should be playing, and relative pitch and familiarity with your instrument will let you choose the "right" notes. AP isn't necessary to be a great musician, and it won't make you into one. I'm not trying to say that AP is a useless ability or that it won't help you. If it were then no one would want it, and I wouldn't hang around here. I'm just telling you that it's not required to play well, and that it's not a one-stop solution to playing well. The two reasons you listed are my two big reasons for wanting to learn AP. I want to be able to write down music more quickly, without using an instrument as a reference, to be able to learn by ear more quickly, and to be able to transcribe music from recording more quickly. Basically, I want to be able to work with music more efficiently, and those are things that AP will help you do.

BottleNeck Baby

Post by BottleNeck Baby » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:45 pm

oh I see. So it will help in some areas. I thought Aruffo was telling us that it wouldnt make any noticeable difference. well, thanks for the insight.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:39 pm

Gadzooks! My explanation definitely missed the mark if I gave the impresssion that absolute pitch would have no effect on musicianship. I agree with Paul, of course.

In my main article, I used the pictures because I wanted to answer your question-- why APB is different from tone memorization-- and I thought I had illustrated how tone memorization is musically useless because it isn't absolute pitch ability.

Apparently this isn't what I said. I just rewrote the article on the main page to make it clearer; please let me know if it still doesn't make sense..!

Axeman

Only seems like memorizing

Post by Axeman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:46 am

I've noticed that when i play the game I sometimes think "Man this is just like playing the note C over and over...Something that Steve Vai one of my favourite guitar players has said he would spend hours doing.
this especially seems to be so when the begnning note of the melody on consecutive ýes'melodies is the target pitch.
But the fact that you can also pick that target note out in the middle of a melody and especially when you get to the higher ranks and it plays the target pitch at three different octaves means that it must be helping you to zero in on the chroma. When the faster melodies go by I'm not listening for the individual pitches I just hear the Yellow sound or the blue sound etc.
Cheers Axeman.