Pitch training software

Thoughts and responses regarding the research at acousticlearning.com.

Pitch training software

Postby SunFishSeven » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:19 pm

Chris, thanks a ton for mentioning http://www.prolobe.com/ and http://www.miles.be/software/34-functional-ear-trainer-v2 on the thread I started about the Burge method.

It is going to take me a few days to process these, but in the meanwhile, what software is available for pitch training, and what results of people experienced with the various software?

I'm not sure if Chris suggested these because they are free or because they are the best available (maybe both ?)

Is there anything else out there I should take a look at?

PS I will soon be contributing a couple of toys to the iPhone app store. one works by simulating a vibrating string -- it resonates sympathetically when you sing into the device at its resonant frequency, also illustrating this resonance visually. Over the past month I have been practising pitching a G3 when I wake up in the morning and at times throughout the day. And it is now accurate to within a semitone most of the time. I'm not sure how much can be attributed to the iPhone app. Also I'm not sure whether this constitutes a genuine advancement, as TS puts it very well, holding my breath under the bathwater isn't really progressing towards deep sea exploration. My focus has shifted to acquisition of relative pitch, and I have been completely astounded by my inability to sing downwards a major third ( amongst others ). So I am going to spend a few weeks on developing this skill.

Re: Pitch training software

Postby TS » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:36 am

Basically Prolobe is the Burge method. In the Prolobe 'Absolute Pitch 2'-course even the order in which new pitches are introduced seems to be the same as in the Burge method. So, if you want to see for yourself that the Burge method doesn't work, you can do it for free on Prolobe.

Functional Ear Trainer is basically the same as a the "Bruce Arnold one note method". This is a much better method than the usual method where you learn to guess different interval sounds.

Return to “Your thoughts about music”