Interesting AP study

Thoughts and responses regarding the research at acousticlearning.com.
Space

Interesting AP study

Postby Space » Mon May 25, 2015 1:47 am

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Mon May 25, 2015 11:54 am

Yeah, I've seen it, it's very interesting. I think part of the reason this study works is because first of all, the alteration happens very slowly, and second of all, it does not go over a quarter tone and thus start feeling like it's the next category.
I do wonder how far one could take this and how many cents it would have to move for someone with AP to notice what was happening...?

Space

Postby Space » Tue May 26, 2015 12:18 am

Yeah, it seems there would be a moment where the listener suddenly realized something had shifted.

But there is also the phenomenon of the listeners temporarily remaining within the slightly flatter category and then hearing the corrected pitches at the end as sharp.

Also, Hi Lorelei! Been a while since I've done eartraining on PC, so I've been MIA around here. My daughter has an older half sister whose middle name is Lorelei.

Have you tried AP Painter?

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Tue May 26, 2015 6:07 am

Hi Space! Welcome back then :)

I have not tried AP painter, but it's been interesting to hear others' thoughts on it. As for what you said about the flatter categories- most APers I know (including myself) hear pitch classes as categories, and can have subcategories within the pitch class. Usually these subcategories aren't as concrete as the pitch class categories and can be a little more flexible, depending on the person (granted, this applies to APers who grew up with our western music system). If the experiment went over a pitch class boundary- say, 3/4 of a semitone flat (even a quarter toe might be enough to go over the boundary), I wonder how that would impact the results. I imagine more APers would pick up on it . What could also be interesting would be to have something 3/8 flat go to something 5/8 flat... Granted, the boundary probably also varies a bit from individual to individual.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see where this research goes.

perfectpitchstudies

Absolute Pitch Possessors in Chicago Wanted

Postby perfectpitchstudies » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:34 pm

We (the same research team from the above post) are currently offering a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) study that examines the effects of acoustic variability on absolute pitch perception. Participation would involve coming to the University of Chicago campus in Hyde Park and completing several short tasks both inside and outside of an MRI scanner. Participation would take approximately 90 to 120 minutes and you would be compensated $50. If you do not live in the Hyde Park area, we will be able to provide up to $20 to cover parking fees, public transportation costs, gas mileage, etc.

Please email perfect.pitch.studies@gmail.com for more information/to schedule a session.

perfectpitchstudies

Postby perfectpitchstudies » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:10 am

We are pleased to offer an online study about absolute pitch. This study is accessible via http://ssd.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bddUu0ZNNiQFtGZ and open to absolute pitch possessors who are at least 18 years old. It takes about five minutes total, and all participants will be eligible to win $50. Please pass this link on to anyone who would be interested in participating. If you have any questions, feel free to email perfect.pitch.studies@gmail.com

Return to “Your thoughts about music”