Bout time, isn't it?

Thoughts and responses regarding the research at acousticlearning.com.
aruffo
Site Admin

Bout time, isn't it?

Postby aruffo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 am

New update on the main web page.

EvilBlade

Postby EvilBlade » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:33 pm

:shock: oh god.

I was awaiting this moment for ages!!

Gianluca

jac

Postby jac » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:28 am

Wow great :)

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:43 am

So I've been figuring that v7 should be a mobile app-- at least the newest game first, and perhaps the rest of the games to follow. But I am utterly bewildered at the variety of things out there claiming to be the solution for developing a mobile app.

Is there some kind of visual interface, like Realbasic or Visual Basic, with which to develop a game app? It's not obvious to me what all these different choices are designed to do!

EvilBlade

Postby EvilBlade » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:40 am

I'm a web developer and I'm using VB.NET everyday at work. I work in a company that also produces mobile applications for Android, iOS and Windows Phone, and I should start working on the Windows Phone-side of the project these days.

We're developing these mobile applications using native-languages, so we're writing in fact 3 identical apps using different syntaxes (which I think it could not be the case for ETC.)

I'm aware that there are some hybrid cross-platform frameworks, made "to overcome" this problem, allowing you to write 70-80% (I could be wrong) of the code that is compatible between these different systems. I'm not a mobile developer yet, so I'm not completely sure of this, but maybe this can help you decide how to start:

Here are some of the hybrid frameworks:

PhoneGap
Icenium
Appcelerator Titanium
jQuery Mobile
ecc..

This claims to help you to decide which cross-platform framework to use:
http://propertycross.com/

I'll be sure to report any other useful info I'll discover.

Hope this helps :D

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:08 am

Well, that's just about as bewildering as before.. I'm not sure which of these many many choices is the one I should start digging into. It'd be annoying if I spent a week or two figuring out how one worked only to discover it couldn't do what I intended.

I need to be able to display custom graphics, to have people drag items across the screen, and to play MIDI sounds when a graphic is touched. I realized that the "game" development packages assume that a game will be considerably more complicated than that, so I'm trying to figure out which of these other offerings can do something like this.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:01 am

In the shorter term, I'm proceeding with Realbasic (oh well). Its successor, "Xojo", will supposedly be able to compile for mobile devices, eventually.. but the main reason for my moving forward is just for the sake of getting er done.

The reason I'm so bewildered by all the different app-development programs is that I really haven't any clue which one of these will allow me to just start creating an app that plays sounds and moves things around on screen. All of them tout their technical capabilities but I really don't know which of those technical abilities are important. I see that more than one of them sez that I can program with HTML and CSS.. but would I use those for this game? (I can't really imagine how those would be capable of creating a game.)

EvilBlade

Postby EvilBlade » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:45 am

After a quick research, it seems to me that the most of these frameworks are based on HTML5, CSS and Javascript, so they should be able to do what you need about custom graphics, drag and drop and touch handling.

Regarding the MIDI support, I found a project named Midi.js that allows you to reproduce midi sounds using Javascript, and there may be other alternatives.

That said, i think that PhoneGap for example, should be ok. It is widely used so I expect it is also well documented.

I'll check better when I have more time.

Return to “Your thoughts about music”