AP journal

Thoughts and responses regarding the research at acousticlearning.com.
Nikolaus

AP journal

Postby Nikolaus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:26 am

okay... i've decided to start my own perfect pitch routine using a combination of ear master and APD.

now for EM, in essence what i've done is configured the program to play a cadence in a random key followed by the tonic of that particular key, and all i've gotta do is select what pitch i think it is. so for instance:

1 4 5 1 cadence in random key

tonic

i select F#

and so on.

the reason why i've come back to this drill is because i've never been able to eliminate semitone errors (without using MTs) and i'd really like to see that happen. this is why i do not pass a level unless i get fifty in a row. i will begin with a tiny number of pitches and advance from there.

on top of this i will be using APD with the following settings:

Game Mode: VCPPD
Melody Triggers: comparison (configured for pitches)
tempo: 0
Melody Length: 1

after selecting the appropriate pitches, i must then get twenty in a row with EACH of the interval or chord types:

major third
perfect fifth
major triad (root position)

that will make sixty in a row total, so if i miss even one, then i've gotta start all over. this also means that if i just got fifty in a row with EM, and i miss even one while working with APD, then i've gotta start all over again. one of my sessions, then, might look like this:

pitches:

B4, C5, C#5, D5

EM (50 in a row)

APD

thirds only (20 in a row)
fifths only (20)
major triads only (20)

so basically i gotta score 100% for all of them combined before i can move on.

Nikolaus

Postby Nikolaus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:30 am

February 12th

pitches:

B4, C5, C#5, D5

attempt one: messed up at question 49! however, i was quite convinced for a second there that B4 was C5, and that is an unacceptable mistake.

attempt two: made it to ten before i confused B with C again. this always happens when i don't listen carefully enough.

attempt three:
Ear Master

attempt four:
switched to APD instead
major triads
made it to seven

attempt five:
Ear Master
50 in a row

APD
thirds
fifths
triads
made it to 17...

so close!

confused a C# major triad for D major. i find this slightly ironic, because typically i'm better at differentiating between chords (as opposed to individual pitches). let me explain. for instance, i might confuse a Bb for a B, but i'd never confuse a Bb major triad for a B major triad. this is because the D in Bb major sounds nothing like the D# in B major.

Return to “Your thoughts about music”