group/pattern game for ap

Thoughts and responses regarding the research at acousticlearning.com.
petew83

group/pattern game for ap

Postby petew83 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:33 am

If the the hypothesis on AP possessors memorizing groups or patterns of notes is true (i think it is), it might be good to have a game where u identify basic structures like major and minor chords absolutely.

etaxier

Postby etaxier » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:24 pm

Oh you mean like, for triads with different roots, identify whether they're minor or major or diminished or augmented (rather than identify the root)?

That sounds like a perfect extension for interval loader, which already does the same thing with dyads. Also works as a kind of bridge between interval loader and chordhopper.

I'm for it!

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:00 pm

Yeah... that's where my thinking has also led me. I haven't been sure whether it'd be an extension of Interval Loader or a resurrection of Chordfall or something else altogether, but it seems pretty obvious that there should be a game where the point would be to identify the structure and/or root of a chord-- something more musically deliberate than Chordhopper.

This work is really still in its infancy. Although I feel as though four-going-on-five years is quite a long time to have pursued this single question, the paper I'm looking at right now is an author's 1994 followup to the same study he conducted in 1974. I've seen at least five or six tasks which must be incorporated into the game (e.g. dictation) but I need to figure out the best way to do't and then actually make em happen.

I'll be at this for some time yet, yes sir.

etaxier

Postby etaxier » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:23 am

ETC 67.4 Final -- looming over the horizon

Andi

Postby Andi » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:02 am

a resurrection of Chordfall
:D :D :D :!:
Just go for it!!

Wade

Re: group/pattern game for ap

Postby Wade » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:08 am

Chris,
Have you worked on anything like the game proposed in this thread? Either a replacement for Chordfall, or an extension of Interval Loader, or whatever?

Return to “Your thoughts about music”