Finding a teacher with absolute pitch for my daughter?

Share experiences and ask questions.
InsaneBeast

Finding a teacher with absolute pitch for my daughter?

Postby InsaneBeast » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi, my daughter is 3 1/2 now and I want to get her started on the path to developing perfect pitch. I'm not a good musician so I don't know where to start and even with the computer program or the We hear and play material, I feel like it may end up as a waste of time and money if she doesn't get real professional training. Is there a site or index of teachers structured by city or something for this?

aruffo
Site Admin

Re: Finding a teacher with absolute pitch for my daughter?

Postby aruffo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Hello! (I'm dreadfully sorry for the delay in approving your post. I need to figure out how to get better spamfilters.)

Where in the country do you live? I suspect that most teachers you'll encounter will want to use their own, traditional, non-AP systems. I do not yet have a structured network of teacher contacts, but I do have people in Florida and California that I can refer you to.

Even so, you shouldn't need to be a good musician to play the We Hear and Play games. The value of a teacher with We Hear and Play is mainly to keep the brakes on, and progress a child only when it's clear that the child is ready to move forward. Because so much music instruction—well, so much instruction, period—is focused on "getting through the book", and progress is measured by pages sped through rather than skills mastered, there's an awful temptation to keep plowing ahead to one new topic after another instead of lingering on concepts until they are unconscious and second nature. As long as you're prepared to play games with your daughter, and let her development guide you through the material, then you should be able to succeed with the We Hear and Play material, even if you are "not a good musician."

cmfischer

Postby cmfischer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Hello -

I have a 3 year old that I'm about to get started with We Hear and Play. In parallel I'd like to get her started on piano. Do you know any instructor contacts in the Chicago area?

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:38 am

I don't have a list of AP-friendly teachers in the Chicago area at present, but I'm happy to provide advice for navigating the "traditional" world of piano instruction in a way that reduces the likelihood of ruining AP development.

Return to “Parents”