First impressions with Absolute Pitch Painter up to level 4

Comments and questions about Absolute Pitch Painter
vanselm

First impressions with Absolute Pitch Painter up to level 4

Postby vanselm » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:50 am

Hello everyone.
Now that I've been playing with APP for several days, I'd like to comment how is going my experience.
First of all, I think these games are quite addictive, and that's a good thing for any kind of training. You have a concrete goal and you have to get it, so you don't have to think about vague theories or feelings. The counterpart of this, al least for me, are the so long level-up tests, trying to discern if sounds are equal or different, I get almost crazy :roll:, with all these percussive tones, ha ha, and sometimes I feel like if most of them could be equal or different at the same time, depending on how do I "adjust" my mind. It is a stressing ear marathon.
About the core of the game itself, it's being a very interesting experience. At the very beginning I missed some kind of guide on how to play or what should I expect when playing. Instead, I started reading all the interesting research Christopher has been doing, so now I understand better how these techniques could work.
Inside the game, sensations have been changing slightly through the different levels, but the main feeling I'm having is that as soon as the random tone succession is long enough, my mind “grasp” some kind of slippery scale that covers all the semitones, and helps me situating the tones inside the right places. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but anyway, it's was inconscious process that I could't avoid. At that point I coudn't say if the different feelings I got from the tones were related to the tones themselves or if they depended upon the “tonal” relationships created around that “slippery scale”. Curiously, the “tonic” of this scale was placed on C# at the begininng (level 1), and then moved to A flat (level 2). When playing on level 4 things got harder, because I lost this scale-feeling help.

Return to “Absolute Pitch Painter”