Snap judgements

Comments and questions about Absolute Pitch Painter
Juuso

Snap judgements

Post by Juuso » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:20 pm

I might have a suggestion for a different kind of approach, which should help concentrating on the "chroma" and categorical perception, while allowing less help from either height or harmonic clues. (As I understand whether the latter one is a "good thing" when learning AP is still open for debate.)

Before I go into this in any detail though, I have two question regarding APP:

1) What is the range of APP? Is it one octave?

2) Where is the border of the two categories on level 1? (As in which note or between which two notes?)

I'm getting pretty excited about getting back to learning AP, with all this new stuff with games and all. All this research and whatnot has really gotten me thinking how to make all this even more fruitful by utilising things I have learned from years of practising relative pitch and adopting the same principles for AP. :)

I also have a ton of new theories to consider, but let's start with the current – absolutely fantastic – idea of concentrating on the categorical perception and really focusing on that.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:31 am

1. Currently one octave. I've now reprogrammed the game portion of to expand the octaves, but I haven't reprogrammed the statistics screens, so v7.1 is not yet ready for release.

2. The initial border is good ol' middle C.

Juuso

Post by Juuso » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:15 pm

I'm a bit confused at the moment. Is the border really spot on middle C? It seems to me like the border is (and also should be) smack in the middle in between B and C.

If the border really is exactly middle C, there is something wrong with both my ears and my logic. :)

I haven't had time to follow up on my initial questions, as I have had so much fun playing with APA and Chord Hopper. I'll get to that eventually...

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:50 am

Ah! Well, yes, the border is technically exactly between B and C. I was answering the question "at what pitch does the category change from one to another?"

Juuso

Post by Juuso » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks.

What a relief. For a moment I thought I was completely bonkers.