starting level 6

Comments and questions about Absolute Pitch Painter
aruffo
Site Admin

starting level 6

Postby aruffo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:33 pm

I'm not sure why I experienced some disorientation when I first began the Large game on Level 6. It wasn't as though I needed to adjust to a tonic... rather, it seemed more like I needed to remind myself that I actually was hearing the same tones as the previous level. Once I did remind myself of that, I just told myself "you know this!" as I listened to each one and, for the most part, I did.

I'm still prone to making errors with the yellow egg, but I suspect this is because I am not accustomed to deciding that an egg should be yellow. That in itself is an interesting phenomenon-- why should I be less likely to recognize something just because I'm not aware that it is a choice?-- but I'll leave that question for later.

What prompted me to post was that I suddenly realized how all the tones really sound different from each other. Again, I can't be sure whether this is chroma or scale degree or some trick of the piano timbre, but I was struck with the sudden realization that all these tones do sound different from each other, and that in itself is an important development. I am still aware of their relative heights, and unfortunately I will still make judgments based on those heights (and make errors because of it), but I shouldn't overlook the fact that they do sound different.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:41 am

It seems that playing the Large game is (and has been) more effective for me if I don't play it to win. That way, for one, I don't get stressed out when I don't catch the border tones-- and, for another, there actually does seem to be some benefit to trying to hear the qualities of a border tone and guess which it has more of.

Once I feel that I am chugging along pretty well and tripping up only on the border tones, then I'll start playing to win. This is what I did in Level 5, and it seemed to work out pretty well.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:04 am

Of course, the down side of not playing to win is making considerably more keyboard errors.

abminor

Postby abminor » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:36 pm

I can relate to that. I tried the strategy you suggested of playing with the mouse and avoiding to guess ambiguous tones but the problem is it makes playing very stressfull because I m thinking about the score all the time and I try to avoid mistakes. I have know stopped using this strategy. Instead I m just allowing myself to do errors and I feel I m learning more.

Sure I fail some games but overall. I don't think I spend more time in the game than before because I play much faster this way. I only sometimes slow down when I encounter an ambiguous tone. And yes if I m in a good run I still avoid tones that I m unsure of.

The way I see it, if I fail a game it simply means I m not ready to move forward yet so I don't see the point of using tricks that would allow me to pass anyway. Plus is it a common saying that we learn from our mistakes so why avoid them ?

abminor

Postby abminor » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:00 pm

I think it also has to do with self confidence. If I play to avoid mistakes I start to doubt more and more eggs, even some that were previously obvious to me. On the contrary, if I play to learn as opposed to play to win I start trusting more my instinct and the progression just fell more natural.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:12 am

Good points all.

The main trouble I'm having with Level 6 is kind of the same as I had a couple levels ago, when I kept hearing the brown category's quality, recognizing its unique sound, and then misidentifying it as red/yellow. In this case, I hear the yellow category's quality, recognize its unique sound, and misidentify it as green. I got over the brown confusion, though, so I don't doubt I'll figure this one out as well.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:25 pm

It's nice when I can see a direct connection between my actual experience and what I see on the stats screen. I just finished the Large games on Level 6. Here's what the pitch-ID stats look like:

All the categories but yellow and green seem pretty good. That gaping pit in between brown and red has a certain thwangy sound that overpowers the primary quality of both brown and red, and the thwanginess actually sounds sort of like the characteristic brown quality, so if I'm not paying attention enough to notice the difference I always, always guess brown instead of red as I should. (Conversely, the weakness on the brown side is when I second-guess my initial judgment.)

The roundness of the yellow and green categories are due partly to my making height judgments and partly to the fact that red and yellow were only just split up this level. Yellow is a weird experience so far. Some times its quality is plain as day; other times I hear it and my mind is completely blank.

That's a weird phenomenon that I have also noticed with the minor sixth in Interval Loader. I know every interval but the minor sixth. And for some weird reason, when the minor sixth comes up, I do not immediately register that it's that oddball interval. I mean, for any one of the other eleven intervals, I hear it, and I know what it is. You would think that, by process of elimination, I would hear the minor sixth and immediately register what it is. But no. Instead there's this "empty" feeling in my mind, and I just sit there dumbly, wondering what it I'm hearing, when there isn't any other interval it possibly could be. Sometimes it's the same deal with the yellow. I know for sure that it isn't any of the other sounds, and yet for some bizarre reason I can not identify it for what it is. This doesn't happen with yellow all the time, as it does with the minor sixth-- sometimes I can identify it. So it's just weird.

Discrimination results also show all categories but yellow and green coming along just fine.

The blue-category result is actually a programming glitch that you may have encountered yourself.. for some reason, Realbasic plays the lowest tones with erratic timing, so it's not easy to tell whether the change you're hearing is a pitch change or a timing change. If I look at the range-to-range result for blue, the cross-category result falls into line (so to speak) at the upper range.

The difference between ascending and descending is still perplexing, so I am still ignoring that for now as I press forward into Jumbo games.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Thu May 01, 2014 9:06 pm

Level 6 completed. Here are the final pitch stats:

Yellow is still my worst category, and it shows. But I'm pleased to see that the other categories look less "rounded" and erratic than they did for the Large games. That giant gap between brown and red persists, and for the same reason-- and actually, the newly-opened gap between green and orange is there for a similar reason. That is, there's a certain ping-y quality that I associate with orange, and the upper green has a quality of its own that is similar enough for me to confuse it with orange. I didn't really notice it before, for some reason... although now that Level 7 splits the orange category in half, I have no doubt that I'm going to be dreadfully confused between the upper green and its neighbor, the (new) orange. But I guess that's exactly what will make me learn it.

The discrimination scores are not quite a slam dunk, but they all seem pretty solid... except for yellow, which is backwards.

Some of the aberrations are clearer when looking at the full range:

The blue has the same end effect as before (red circle). The yellow is indeed completely inverted (pink circle), and the green's cross-category value is dragged down by the yellow (yellow circle). There's also obviously some kind of end effect going on with the upper orange, but the lower cross-category result is also doing well, so I shan't concern myself muchly with that.

All together, for the most part, this is good stuff.

On to Level 7!

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sat May 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Do you find that it gets easier for every level you pass or is it just as challenging as the first few levels?

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sat May 03, 2014 5:34 pm

It depends on what you mean by "easier". When it comes to identifying the tones, you can see the answer for yourself in the chart, above-- the charts were less "round" than before, indicating sharper boundaries, and the charts were generally higher than before (except for yellow), indicating better identification overall.

In terms of the gameplay, no, it doesn't get easier.. because, really, it can't. The border tones will always be difficult to identify, by their very nature, so the game will always be difficult in that respect.

jac

Postby jac » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:53 pm

I think my experience is similar to that of yours as you wrote in level 11 post. I'm on level 6 now- haven't won a large game, but i feel each time i'm getting better even after long gaps.
Like you said Red downwards is clearer. But i was jst wondering if red to orange only are played, yellow might be more identifiable. I am experiencing yellow as the tone that i don't know also. Green has also become blurred. Red and orange are identifiable.
What i feel is Red is my best tone, then brown (almost as good as red) and then blue. Grey had been like my tonic sound but when yellow separated, i have difficulty in keeping grey in place. After blue, orange is the other end so it is better than green. And yellow i don't understand. Grey is easy to play after a red has sounded and a yellow hasn't yet. Last few times i tried to identify it as the tone i don't know, it works sometimes but it is very difficult to accept it is yellow.

Return to “Absolute Pitch Painter”