moving through level 4

Comments and questions about Absolute Pitch Painter
Axeman

Postby Axeman » Fri May 16, 2014 11:50 pm

As I look at my results I see that the red is greater than green for the orange -green, and yellow red categories but that for the other two on level three the graph is the other way around. This suggests that I am not ddiscerning the category boundary very well between blue-grey and brown and between brown and yellow-red. Is that right?

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sat May 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Right. Although there are end effects with the lowest tones that should be ignored.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:13 pm

I would like to join in and emphasize the importance of paying attention through my own observations.

I haven't played APP in about a month or so because I get frustrated (I'm still on level 3 Large). After playing last night and getting my fourth score of over 2000, I realized that I played the game as Chris has advised.

See, when I play the game multiple times a day and daily, I get cocky real quick about my skills so the more I think "I know these tones", the more height based judgments I end up making and I end up with more mistakes.

But after coming back to this game without having played it for a while, I had this "oh man, I hope I can still remember the qualities of the tones" mentality so I unconsciously played the game more cautiously and thus ended with less mistakes. More importantly, I hadn't forgotten the tone qualities that I 'learned' but I would still doubt myself and check other eggs to make sure.

So in the end, you can either force yourself to pay attention or just not play for a long time so that you end up paying attention unintentionally.

Axeman

Postby Axeman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:23 am

So in the end, you can either force yourself to pay attention or just ... end up paying attention unintentionally.

I would like to steal your quote (adjusted as above) and make it a classroom motto for my kids.

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:19 pm

So in the end, you can either force yourself to pay attention or just ... end up paying attention unintentionally.

I would like to steal your quote (adjusted as above) and make it a classroom motto for my kids.

This made me chuckle :D
Seriously though, I feel if you're paying attention unintentionally to the chroma, you're probably going in the right direction. I think. At least it seems right to me...

Return to “Absolute Pitch Painter”