Is it just me or is this board dead?

Anything that's nothing to do with music.
BigRed

Is it just me or is this board dead?

Postby BigRed » Sat May 29, 2010 8:52 pm

There isn't much activity on this forum is there? Seems like a ghost town.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sun May 30, 2010 2:28 am

It depends on when you show up.. and admittedly, there aren't too many new topics to be initiated that haven't already been covered.

If you haven't looked at prolobe.com yet, I'd recommend it..!

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Sun May 30, 2010 3:22 pm

thanx for the prolobe recommendation, Chris! Checking it out right now... :D

Also, sorry if my above comment about this board being "dead" sounded a little rude -- but it's true. Whenever I log in, it says: "There are currently 1 (or sometimes 2 or 3) Guests online" at the bottom. (Not to mention most of the posts are X years old.)

Just wanna see this great community you created thrive!!!

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Sun May 30, 2010 3:43 pm

BTW, I find people's "progress reports" very inspiring, so here's my first:

When I fisrt started using APA, I could not get through even a single avenue, using only piano tones, without making a mistake; I'd always have less than 4 tries remaining after the chickens crossed the road. OT: for some reason they remind me of ducks.

After a few days, I could get through maybe 2 "aves" in a row before making a mistake. After about a week, I could get through 2 aves with 5 different instruments or 3 aves with just piano. (And my speed was increasing.) At about 10 days, I was using 15 seperate random instrs. (every guitar and piano timbre), and increased my clicking speed to the point where I was playing using my "subconcious" mind, instead of concious thought.

Currently I'm at the 16 day mark. Using 15 instr, I can get through between 2-3 aves unscathed (provided I play QUICKLY and enter "The Zone"). If using 5 or so instr, I can even get through 4-5 aves unscathed.

2 questions:

Is this fast or slow progress?

How often do you think I should practice (and for how long)?

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:54 am

I'm not sure that this board will ever have more than 1 or 2 users at a time... it's more a home for occasional observation than ongoing conversation. Whether that's "dead" or not I suppose is a matter of opinion.!

I'm not sure whether your progress is fast or slow.. when I finally get to making version 7 (or at least the next upgrade to v6) then the "price" of upgrading will be the stats files generated by the v6 that's been in use, and then I'll have some data to compare..

..and as for how often, the best answer I've got for now is "as often as you find enjoyable."

BigRed

Postby BigRed » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:26 pm

aruffo wrote:...when I finally get to making version 7 (or at least the next upgrade to v6) then the "price" of upgrading will be the stats files generated by the v6 that's been in use, and then I'll have some data to compare...

That's a great idea. Looking forward to it!

And as far as practice frequency goes, I've noticed that a lot of people (in books and on the web) recommend between 15 min. to an hour daily for ear-training, which sounds too arbitrary. I like your recommendation more! The only reason I ask is because I thought "marathon" sessions might somehow "tire out" a person's ears, thus rendering practice less effective. But for all I know, that might not be a legitimate cause for concern.

PROGRESS REPORT:

Using 5 instruments, I recently got through 10 avenues in a row unscathed! Also, I am up to level 7 in Prolobe. Making progress... :D

Return to “Completely unrelated discussion”