well whadya know

Comments and questions about Chordhopper.
aruffo
Site Admin

well whadya know

Postby aruffo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:55 am

Obviously I'm paying most of my attention to Chordhopper right now... today it amuses me tremendously to discover that I'm getting an effect I hadn't intended.

I knew from the start that playing these chords would help to hear the tones in them through comparison-- when you listen to CFA and CEG, for example, you start to notice the C alone as the common component. I'd originally created the midgame activity to be identfying pitches because I thought that would be the strongest method of reinforcement.

I changed the midgame activity to "typing" the chord components once I learned the importance of decoding. Yet, I was beginning to feel concerned, because when I play the midgame I do it by strategizing my fingers. Since I know which keys on my keyboard go with which chords, I use the shape of the tile to know which finger to begin with and very quickly strum the keys in sequence. I don't think about which actual tones are in the chord-- I mean, I'm not actively thinking "ti, re, so" when I see the marble, I just have my fingers on the three keys and go left to right (to end on blue). I had started to think that I was losing something because I seemed to be doing this so mechanically and mindlessly. The midgame goes by in a flash because I can so quickly position my fingers and play the chords.

So imagine my surprise, then, when I'm playing the game just a moment ago and, after each chord plays in the regular part of the game, my mind starts reflexively responding to the sound of each chord by automatically imagining its components, replaying the pitch sounds just like I hear them during the midgame!

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:50 pm

Interestingly, when I pay attention to the arpeggiated pitches, I lose track of which chord I've just heard-- which fits both the principle of exclusive allocation (in auditory scene analysis) and the fact that when a word is spelled to you, you have to reconstruct the word mentally before you know what word it is.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:55 pm

On the other hand, it's just this moment helped me... I wasn't sure which chord I'd just heard, and then, without actually hearing the chord again, I was able to replay the pitches in my mind and identify the chord from that.

Return to “Chordhopper”