Two keyboard shortcuts per note?

Comments and questions about Chordhopper.
TS

Postby TS » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:48 pm

I hadn't noticed that update.
What I think was good in the old tone row was that it changed in real-time when you moved the mouse cursor over the icons, so you could take your time and study the chords. This new version only shows the configuration for a short while when you click an icon. Maybe there are some technical or pedagogical reasons why they don't update in real-time anymore, but I think that people will have to learn a whole new icon-speed-reading skill to be able to register four icons in a short glance and make some use of that information.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:24 pm

That is a point that immediately arises.. I experienced the same thing and I got a couple bits to mention.

One is that you can turn off "autoplay" to see the components of the chord just chosen (or played) before clearing them to hear the new one.

Another is that the components are reinforced by the midgame pitch-board (the pitch board has no effect on fly acquisition).

A third is that I'm working on a new update that will make it a moot point anyway.

TS

Postby TS » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:09 am

I just noticed that at some point the superfly challenge starts counting the single tone queries in the total result, and I also noticed that I always go through the single tones using only visual cues. I look at the chord picture that appears and remember what buttons I'm supposed to click, and in what order, but I don't use my ear at all, so the superfly is basically testing my ability to remember pictures, not my hearing abilities. Perhaps the single tone game shouldn't display the picture of the chord, only play the sound, to force the player to use his ears.

Or maybe I don't really understand what the game is supposed to be doing. Is the purpose of the single tone part only to teach the icons corresponding to the chords, and the sounds are completely irrelevant? I still don't really understand how making the octave of single tones explicit could change the way the game works, unless the purpose is to learn the icons, and not the sounds. The way it is now, the same button can make a different sound at different times, so the player may end up thinking that the sounds are just random, which doesn't seem to enforce octave sameness any more than explicit octave information.

What comes to the shape of a chord having a consistent sound, the root position contains the perfect fifth interval, but the two other inversions don't, so if you've played IL and learned what a perfect fifth sounds like, then you should be able to recognise a root position chord by the perfect fifth sound. The other inversions can also be identified by interval sounds.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:56 am

The idea there is "spelling" the chord. Although I agree that it's not necessarily prompting you (or anyone) to think about the sounds-- and it won't until I can figure out how to FFT-analyze the incoming sound stream now that I've learned how to grab some microphone input-- it does seem to be doing some good. A couple days ago I was singin' an old familiar song when I suddenly realized that I was singing the arpeggiated blue-marble chord. I wouldn't have recognized that before.

Return to “Chordhopper”