Chord statistics

Comments and questions about Chordhopper.
KosciaK

Chord statistics

Postby KosciaK » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:35 pm

First a question - what are the "structure only" errors? I didn't make any of them and I'm not sure what it's supposed to be...

Secondly - it takes longer and longer for chord statistics to show up. It seems that these statistics are constructed from some kind of raw data every time you select them and more data means more time to compute it. There must be a way to make it more efficient - storing a pre-computed data or something so it would only add new data without the need of loading everything in a raw form.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:27 pm

Structure only errors are when the chords are the same shape (triad, first inv, second inv) but are further than a semitone apart.

The chord statistics are very inefficient, which is why I made the "export" function; I'm not sure how to allow the necessary flexibility without reloading the stats each time. Maybe it'd be easiest to make an Excel spreadsheet that will analyze the chord stats.

KosciaK

Postby KosciaK » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:56 am

Could you say something how the data for chord statistics is stored and created? I've got some ideas how to make it more efficient but it all depends on the way how statistics are made.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:45 pm

It's pretty simple-- for each game, the program tracks
- chord played
- chord response
- number of chords currently in play

and then tags the group with a timestamp.

These are saved in an array, which in turn is saved to a file. The array is re-scanned with each new request from the statistics screen.

KosciaK

Postby KosciaK » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:32 am

Can't find the export option in the game menu... When statistics window show up there's no menu and I can't see any "Export" button. So I depend on what can bee seen.
I've got some thoughts and ideas how I would implement statistics to get the same results. I don't know RealBasic but as I've found out it's Object Oriented so there's no problem.
I'm still thinking about details and will email you (there's no point in continuing discussion here, I think) soon what I've got in mind.

EDIT: already sent the mail

Return to “Chordhopper”